top of page

Property Tax Credit

Abatement, Deferral and Exemption Programs for Individuals.

-Tyson Hemphill, Certified Public Accountant

Utah law allows Utah residents 5 types of property tax relief.

The most common credit is the Circuit breaker Low Income Abatement credit. To qualify for this credit, you must be at least 66 years old OR an unmarried surviving spouse, your primary residence needs to be a home you owned in Utah for the entire 2021 calendar year, and and have total gross household income in of less than $35,807. If you meet this criteria, you can qualify for up to $1000 off of your property tax bill every year. The property that is considered has to be less than an acre. If it’s more than an acre, you can still get abatement on land value of an acre or less. The county will work that out.

We can certainly help prepare those applications and get those sent in for you.

If you are a renter, you can get up to $1000 off of rent each year. It may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but it’s still helpful. Similar to the income requirements for the homeowner abatement, you need to have a household income of $35,807 or less. If you are a senior citizen and you meet the income requirements, you will likely qualify.

To be clear, household income includes income from all people living in the same dwelling, sharing the facilities, etc. You do not have to include the income of children under the age of 18 or income from parents or grandparents of the home owners living in the home.

Other available credits include:

Veterans: If you were discharged due to a disability of more than 10% then you can qualify for property tax forgiveness on a certain amount of your home.

Blind: This exemption is available to legally blind property owners. There are no income or age requirements.

Active duty armed forces also have a credit available to them. We thank you for serving our country by-the-way.

All credits require an annual application. It usually becomes available in May with filing required by September 1st.

Other states have similar credits as well. Their application process may be a little different but we can walk you through it to make sure to get your credit each year.

Let us know if that’s something you are interested in!


Recent Posts
Search By Tags
bottom of page